Monday, 16 February 2009

Repatriation

A newspaper from the local Tory party plopped through the door this morning, and I almost chucked it straight in the recycling bin, but something caught my eye...

It was a tribute from our local MP to the people of Wootton Bassett.

And the reason for this tribute - the fact that often two or three times a week they turn out en-masse to line the High Street - hundreds of them.

Why?

Well, I would love to report that they do this to celebrate some joyous event - but it is most certainly not. 

They line the streets to honor the bodies of soldiers repatriated through RAF Lyneham. 
Old soldiers stand to attention next to civilians, their heads bowed.
Just looking at the images of this brought me to tears, and I felt the same ugly feeling in the pit of my stomach as when the Hercules which fly them home, go over our house - I think about the families, and how things will never be the same again for them.

Quite what impact this will have on the people of Wootton Bassett long term? That's unknown - but what I do know is that they deserve James Gray's tribute.

Thank you for welcoming them home -  we are with you in spirit....and the next time one of 'those' flights passes overhead, I will think of not only the soldiers...but the people of Wootton Bassett too.