Sunday, 23 November 2008

We don't really live in the middle of nowhere...it justs feels like it!


This email was sent today...


Dear Waitrose,

From time to time I check our postcode to see if a wondrous thing has happened...to see if Waitrose has a care for those living in the no mans land between their stores?

We live between Bath and Cirencester...yet we aren't covered by either home delivery service - if you put in our postcode into your online store this is what you get -





STROUD???? 

ABERGAVENNY??????? 

Abergavenny...that's actually in Wales...not just a different county, but a different COUNTRY!!!

Who writes this stuff? Who sits in one of your offices, and dreamt that one up? I hope they had a good laugh, I jolly well did - for it may well have said Outer Mongolia!

I really like shopping in Waitrose, but I have to say it really tests my brand loyalty. Our nearest store is Bath, but in order to shop there I have to drive a 2o mile roundtrip, then pay £2.20 to park for the half an hour it takes to do the shopping.
Over a year this means spending at least £115 - just to park...and in the years that we have lived near Bath we have spent well over a thousand pounds...just in parking fees!!

(Can you feel the steam coming out of my ears?)

It has to be the only supermarket that does this? I understand the situation in Bath (the parking is not owned by Waitrose)...but this is 2008 - and I am still astonished that there is no online facility covering the surrounding area. 
Bath only delivers in Bath - an oxymoron if ever there was one.

There are plenty of nice little villages surrounding Bath which are inhabited by Waitrose shoppers, although you are losing them - you've almost lost me a few times!

Then there's Cirencester - Ciren is a great store and they have a lovely manager who would love to deliver to our area...but isn't allowed to, and frankly Cirencester is too far away to be practicable for our weekly shop.

So, there we are - where does that leave us? Still spending lots of 'dead' money on parking...just because I really can't 'do' the other supermarkets, which always look grubby, I can't find my way round and stuffed to the rafters with 'stuff' I'm not the least bit interested in buying (like clothes made in far flung sweatshops or boring electrical lumps of plastic).

And the reason for this email....well we all had flu this week...and it made me realise more than ever, that to have home delivery would have been a saviour...so Dear Mr Tesco, he won the day....and Mr Tesco (who we call 'the dark side' in our house due to them being omnipresent  (second only to Starbucks)) is perfectly happy to drive all the way from the nether regions of Bristol....

So....like Martin Luther King...."I have a dream..."

...is it too much to hope for....I don't seriously have to drive to Stroud....do I???

Kind foodie regards,
The Hen

Maybe I still have a temperature?